Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Dad and Lad Cake

Jacob and Kelly made their Dad and Lad cake for the annual Blue and Gold Banquet. The cake has to be made by the male population only. No mom help allowed. (I did buy the groceries and give my opinion, but the rest was up to them.) Jacob decided on a basketball theme, because the scouts had attended the Harlem Globetrotters back in November. Jacob made the cake, so when Kelly got home they could focus on decorating. The icing started at 8 p.m. The cake was iced with butter cream icing, but the jersey and stars were cut out of store bought fondant. They used a sparkle dusting powder on the fondant to give it the red and blue color. Jacob gave up at 10:30 and went to bed and Kelly finally finished up close to midnight. They didn't win a prize, but I think they had the best cake there!!


Jacob is rolling out the fondant. I know, Jacob's shirt is missing. He had already taken a bath and was about to go to bed. Yes, we do feed him....he is just skin and bones!



Kelly is making butter cream icing.



Jacob is sprinkling the dusting powder on the stars.



Kyle did not want to go to bed. I guess he did not want to miss any thing!



Globetrotting with the Scouts!!

2 comments:

faithster said...

What a neat project. That cake looks fantastic!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

The cake was so cute! I don't think David would even know how to turn the mixer on! The pic of Kelly at the mixer is one you'll have to save! They did a great job!